Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Planting Peas

Daddy, let’s go lift some heavy and dirty things, Jacob said when he saw the big tiller in the garden, ready to make the soil look like chocolate cake mix.




Little did I know that planting would bring as much joy as the harvest? It’s in the anticipation, the development, the reward. And it is a family event for us. The kids come home early from bike rides, neighborhood football games and friends houses hoping not to miss out... is it time to plant? they say as they run back to the garden.

We plant when we’re all here.










Jacob was so careful and serious as he planted, as if he was giving direction to each seed. He held this stance as he scooted down the row. Cute little kid!




I asked David if he was dirty, to which he replied: I not dirty, I a boy! --Yes, you are.






Our neighbor asked incredulously, if we really planted seven rows of peas. --Yes, we did!


I think that some of the joy of our planting may come after planting...




--Yes, it does.

3 comments:

Annalee Kelly said...

You seriously need to think about writing and illustrating children's books. I would buy every one!

Jenn said...

Someday my family will be like yours....probably in the next life but I'll take it when I can get it. :) Thanks for chatting with me today! You go Pea Planters!

Laura said...

Oh, I love this post for so many reasons. Fun and beautiful and thought-provoking, all at the same time.