Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Lesson Learned

The other night we went to Temple Square, Joseph Smith Memorial, and the Church Museum. We got an early start and rode Trax for the kids (mainly Jacob, who absolutely loves trains.) We had a great time, the older kids really enjoyed the Joseph Smith movie and the younger kids loved all the hands-on stuff at the I Am A Child of God exhibit in the Museum.

As we walked around there were a number of people who made casual comments like, “Boy, you sure have your hands full!” or “You must be really busy!!” and “Are those all yours?” and my favorite, “what well-behaved children!” ;) And all the while I couldn’t help but agree with them as my heart would near burst with gratitude for every one of the little spirits that keep my ‘hands full’ and keep me ‘really busy’ every day!

At about dinner time however, we proposed a choice to the kids; “would you rather eat at The Garden Restaurant now or go to the museum and then get fast food later?” They ended up choosing the museum first and fast food later so by the time we finally got to our car to go eat it was about 8:30 pm – 3.5 hours after the kids’ usual dinner time. So, let’s see, all of our 'well-behaved' cuties melted as soon as we got to our car at the end of the night and we had.… 1 crying baby + 1 crying toddler + 2 whining four and six year olds + 2 grouchy eight and ten year olds = never give kids an option of their dinner time. Lesson learned. :)

3 comments:

heather said...

Sounds like a very fun family activity! Especially with the long ride on Trax. We always make that same mistake because at the time they are all so well behaved, but by the time it is time to leave--major meltdowns! :)

kellyclay said...

What a fun night it must have been. :) but I have been there done that with the Meltdowns due to hunger and fatigue.

the twins said...

I have to say that you and Geoff are brave to venture out on a day full of fun. Brig and I get stressed out just thinking of taking Emma to a basketball game. I have to admit that I miss SLC when I hear about how much fun you guys had down town:)

Love, Steph